Painting Trends 2012 – Not so New!
There’s always someone to offer a new lens through which we tend to view that which has stood the test of time as new – classics are the primordial design soup that generates “new” trends.
Interior Design trends are reinvented every few decades. Today I stopped by a big-box store for painting supplies, and low and behold, I met the brass fixtures of the ’70’s – 80’s reinvented. The 80’s was such an abyssal decor decade that many design enthusiasts still won’t utter the word “brass” in public forums – but once upon a time, it was a hot trend for a reason…good design happens n every era, beside that which we long to forget.
But if you are looking for color inspiration, try your own proverbial back yard. As Dorothy discovered over the rainbow, there’s no place like home.
You chose your dwelling for a reason. As any real estate agent can attest, committing to the what is for most of us the largest single purchase of our lives begins with an emotional connection. It’s that indefinable something that evokes the impression of home and hearth where other dwellings are just walls.
Look for inspiration in the period of your architecture. If you responded to it enough to pay on it for 30 years, or hand a land lord 30% or more of your income each month, chances are you will respond to color groups relating to the period of your architecture.
Allot of paint companies offer historical paint collections, but California Paints has refined these period collections to specific eras in design – do some of these look familiar heal beside current trends?
California Paints has captured the best that each design era has had to offer.
Arts & Crafts inspired colors:
Art Deco inspired Colors:
Mid-Century Modern inspired palettes:
…and the post modern colors popularized between 1960 and 1980:
So as you gear up for Fall, and holiday entertaining, try looking no further than what inspired you to choose your space to begin with – trust your gut!
California paints offers the color story of each and every color shown above – find your inspiration in the history of your architecture:
Pillows are the easiest way to support a period-vibe:
So pick a period and GET COLOR!
- Color Trends 2011 – 2012 – Color Made Easy (redoitdesign.wordpress.com)
- Inspired: Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky (casasugar.com)
- Atomic Age Clock (craftzine.com)
- Painting Trends – High Gloss Paint, High Style Rooms! (redoitdesign.wordpress.com)
- Pantone Color Trends 2012 / 2013 – Touchstone; 10 ways to make it a Design Star! (redoitdesign.wordpress.com)
- Pantone Color Trends 2012 / 2013 – Radiate (redoitdesign.wordpress.com)
- Color Trends Fall/Winter 2012 – Converge and Compliments vs. Algebra (redoitdesign.wordpress.com)
- New! Color Trends Summer 2013 – Sneak Peek! (redoitdesign.wordpress.com)
- Trend Alert: Chevron Walls (casasugar.com)
- Trend Alert: Painterly Pleasures (casasugar.com)
- Color Trends (jmorton01.wordpress.com)